Sunday, December 15, 2013

Memories in a Box


 Isn't this lovely? (NOT!)  If you were to see this old jewelry box in a garage sale, chances are pretty good that you wouldn't even pay a quarter for it.  It has virtually no monetary value.  But value isn't always monetary.  This is the little jewelry box that started it's life on my dresser when I was somewhere around 4 or 5 years old.



In recent years, I've been going through the "things" I've collected in my 6 decades of life.  This is the season of my life when I am cleaning out, paring down, finding new homes for things and deciding what I really want to keep.  But it's so difficult for me to just toss something that has so many memories.

As I go through the boxes from the attic, if something makes me smile, I'm trying to incorporate it into my everyday live.  If I don't want it in my house, if it has no resale value, and if nobody else wants it--- then it goes.  But in the case of my jewelry box, I just couldn't get rid of it.  Plus-- as I said-- it makes me smile.





 SO.... I got the perfect idea!  I put all of my Christmas jewelry in it!  I did this last year, and after the holidays I packed it away with the Christmas decorations.  When I started decorating this year, out came the jewelry box, and you guessed it... it made me smile.  :-)

I've been looking for ideas like this one to re-purpose old things with good memories.

Oh--- and can you see the little puppy earrings in front of the box on the left?  My oldest son gave them to me when he was 8 years old.  I still remember the day he gave them to me.  He payed $2 of his own money for them.  Yep- they make me smile, too.

It's the little things in life.


3 comments:

Gene Black said...

things that make you smile are certainly worth keeping

PNWBookGirl said...

What a lovely idea, thank you for sharing!

Karen R said...

dear friend...I have a box that looks just like it in my drawer. I have no jewelry that is "worth" anything but the ring on my left hand. What is left are the memories in that small little box of gems.