Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cream of Asparagus Soup

It's spring in the US, and fresh asparagus are plentiful and affordable.  I love asparagus, and this is a recipe I like a lot.  It's smooth and creamy, and not too thick.  It you like thicker soup, just up the flour a bit.  The spoon shows the bits of asparagus tips mixed into the creamy soup.  Yum!

Cream of Aparagus Soup

2 pounds fresh asparagus
4 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups green onions or leaks or a combination of the 2 (chopped)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 cans (about 6 cups) chicken broth or you can use vegetable broth or home made stock
1/2 cup half and half
1 tablespoon dried tarragon (or fresh if you have it)
salt and pepper to taste

To prepare the asparagus, snap the woody ends off the bottoms and discard.  (My dog loves them for treats).  Then cut the tips off and set aside.  Cut the remaining asparagus stalk into 1/2 inch pieces.

Heat the butter in a heavy pan.  Add the onions and/or leaks and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add asparagus pieces (not the tips) and cook for another 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the flour and cook, stirring often, for about 3-4 minutes.

Add stock or broth.  Stir and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

While soup is simmering, cook the asparagus tips.  You can boil them for a few minutes, or put them in the microwave with a little water.  Don't over-cook, but you do want them soft.  Rough-chop the cooked tips.

Process soup with whatever you have- a food processor, food mill, immersion blender, Magic Bullet, Ninja, blender- just make it smooth somehow.  Be sure to process well-- you don't want any woody stems left. 

You can serve this soup hot or cold.  If serving hot, return the processed soup to the pot and add the tips and the half and half.  Warm just a bit- don't let it boil.  If serving cold,  add the half and half and the tips and store in the refrigerator until chilled.  You can substitute plain yogurt for the half and half if you like.

I like to serve this with a small dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love cream of asparagus and make my own too.
I have to make up my own broth since I have allergies, everything is from scratch.

Debbie

Bridget B said...

Sounds good- will try it. Am out to pick some asparagus now. Thanks

Micki said...

Sounds yummy...I will have to try this one!
Micki

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Sue that sounds wonderful! I just printed it out! My kinda soup!
hugs,
Michelle

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh yum! I love asparagus! This sounds really good~ thanks! :-)

Fleurette said...

Sounds delicious, I've got to try it. thanks