Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Westside Quilters Guild Fall, 2010 Retreat

This is a "catch up post".  Our guild had a retreat last fall right around the time that I fell off the blog wagon.  It was several months ago, but I thought you might like to see what my friends made.  This was taken on the last day right before we cleaned up to go home.  I'm on the top row- second from the right- bleary-eyed from sewing all weekend.

Our guild offers speakers at each monthly meeting, and several classes and workshops throughout the year.  For our retreat, we have some little mini-demonstrations, but no real classes or instruction.  It's simply a time for each of us to bring our own projects and spend the weekend in the company of friends, working on our quilts.  It's something I look forward to.  I get to sew all weekend, talk with friends while I'm sewing, and somebody else makes my meals.  Doesn't get any better than that!

On Sunday before we left, we had a "show and tell" and shared what we made.  My apologies to a few of the ladies- I managed to accidentally delete a few pictures.  If you're not on here, it isn't because I didn't like your quilt.  It's because I was camera-challenged that day.  My bad.

Shirlene is always so focused.  She has everything planned out and she's super organized.  She just gets down to work and sticks with it.  She always accomplishes a LOT.  This is one of her "Lullaby Quilts" which is a charity sub group of our guild.

 Shirlene also made this one for a baby shower she was going to the NEXT DAY!
 Another one of Shirlene's quilts- a Schnibbles quilt called Roundabouts.

 Cathie drafted this herself and made it from a Moda Jellyroll.

 This is another one of Cathie's.... a batik Rail Fence.  Close- up below.

 Close-up of the Batik Rail Fence.  The fabric selection is stunning!

 Diane made some cute smaller projects.  She made a welcome banner and a snowman square....

 And a Fall wall hanging....

 .... and a redwork snowman (which I LOVE).  Ahem... Diane.... did I ever tell you that I collect snowmen?

 Marla made an amazing tote bag.  It's called the "Professional Tote".  This thing is chock full of pockets.

 Muriel's blue and orange tessellations.  The picture doesn't do this one justice.

 Jamie made this one for a friend, called Amish Boxes.  Gorgeous!

 Betty made this Log Cabin for her grandchild.  Lucky kid!

 Carolyn made this for her mother-in-law to use for her church raffle.  She drafted it herself.

 This is one that Carolyn has as a UFO for a long time.  She was happy to finish it.  It was from a McCall's magazine.

 This is also Carolyn's.... super cute.

 Jean is a real "cut up" (look closer at her head).  Here are some blocks made to start a One Block Wonder.

 Jean drafted this block and used it as a challenge for our guild's art quilt sub-group.  It's called Jumpin' Java--- coffee cups blocks and the border is coffee label fabric.

 Jeans Convergence quilt.  Stunning!

 Patty made these 2 quilts (above and below).  Her sister got the blocks from a flea market.  Some of the blocks are pieced and some are appliqued.  Great find!


 This one is so cool... a very bright art quilt.  Love the parrots!

 This one is mine.  The flowers on the right and the koi in the circles along the bottom are fussy cut.  Aside from mumbling to myself cutting out the flowers, it went together pretty fast.  It's supposed to be a wall hanging but you need a huge wall to display it!

 I made this for my son.  The border is license plates and the background is a map.  I don't have it quilted yet, but I'm going to use license plates for the backing.

 Paula is just getting started here on an art quilt that she was commissioned to make.  She's off to a good start!

 Polly made this cute lady bug quilt.


 .... And isn't this one eye-catching?

 ... And another one!  She was on a roll!

 Julie organizes our retreats.  She does a fantastic job!  We all appreciate her hard work.  Thanks, Julie!

 Julie designed this with EQ.  She spent the weekend getting started on the blocks.  Beautiful, Jullie!

Gail's handiwork.  Pretty colors!
 Bella was working on blocks for her Link to the 30's quilt.  Nice block....

 Look how many she got done!

 And she worked on her Thimbleberries BOM.

 Carol holding a block for her "Take 5" pattern.

 And Carol with a pillowcase....

 ... And Carol with blocks for another quilt.

We have another retreat coming up in April.  I can hardly wait!

7 comments:

Cathie said...

Only 6 weeks left to get some projects together! I better get busy! Thanks for posting those.

Sue said...

I don't know about you, Cathie, but I'll be finishing up my UFO's!

Cheryll said...

What an interesting post! Sounds like you had a fantastic time!

Sallie said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing with us.

Barb said...

What a talented group of women...enjoyed seeing all their projects and creativity. Thanks!

WoolenSails said...

What a fun group and lots of beautiful pieces.
I love the jumpin java, that would be fun to do.

Debbie

Lish said...

Looks like a lot of fun - and such gorgeous quilts!