Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fuchsias and Hummingbirds



I spent a lot of the day at the sewing machine. I have several quilts very close to being done so I decided to spend some time this week finishing them up. It's pretty cool to say I made 3 quilts this week! Never mind that they have been sitting there 98% done for months! This one is my fuchsia and hummingbird quilt. The fabric is Maywood Fuchsia and the pattern is Whirligig by Animas Quilts (I have the pattern for sale on my website). I quilted it on a Gamill with hummingbirds. The beaks were a bit of a challenge with my limited longarm skills, but it was a good learning experience.

We have SWARMS (honestly!) of hummingbirds right outside our kitchen in the spring and summer. We have several feeders hanging outside our kitchen window and when they are super thirsty, they go through a quart of sugar water in a day. Sometimes (especially if I have a red shirt on) I walk outside and get dive-bombed. I miss my little irridescent friends when they move on and look forward to seeing them again in the spring. When I saw this fabric, I knew I just had to do something with it. It's a big one- queen size, and the backing is VERY purple.

0 comments: