Sunday, June 19, 2011

A few more tips....

I love to read tips!  It's fun to learn from others.  I have a few more of my favorites for you today (why does it seem that most of my tips come from my kitchen?!?)

I like to purchase ground meat in larger (more cost effective) portions and freeze it.  Since I'm only cooking for 2 most of the time, I freeze it in one-pound portions.  I'm not always good at planning ahead for every-day meals, and I learned years ago that if I flatten it out before freezing, the defrosting is quicker.  As an added bonus, it's easier to stack it in the freezer if it's all nice and flat.  Just stick it in the freezer bags and flatten it out right in the bag.

This one's a little weird, but it has become a habit for me.  In this example, I'm making cole slaw, but it works for other stuff, too.

I was at the end of the mayo jar.  That means lots of scraping to get the last bit out, or getting out a rubber spatula.  But this is easier....

Spoon a little of the slaw into the jar, put the lid back on and shake.



Open the lid and just pour out the contents.  I generally repeat with more slaw and another shake.  

Look at the empty jar!  This is super quick and uses every last bit of the mayo.

This works with anything sturdy (it has to be something you can shake around).

Depending on how much slaw I'm making (DH loves slaw so I make it often in small portions) you can just spoon it back into the jar for storage in the fridge.

9 comments:

Jackie's Stitches said...

I've always frozen stuff as flat as possible because it really does thaw much quicker. The mayo tip I've never heard of - what a great idea!

Yuki said...

I'm not much of cook but do like to have hamburger handy for chili. Thanks for the great tips!

ttfn :) Yuki

Needled Mom said...

Great ideas!! I usually flattened stuff for freezing because it stacks easier too.

Jan said...

Love the mayo tip. I don't know why it never dawned on me to do this. Thanks.

DebbieM said...

I love your tip on the flattened ground meat! Gosh, all these years and I still lump it in a plastic bag, just like you are using, and it fall out onto the floor and toes when I open up my freezer. I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow and I'm getting ground meat. I'm going to try this. Thank you for the tip!!

Nancy said...

and that hamburger will thaw even faster if you remove it from the plastic baggie and lay it on an aluminum cookie sheet...not sure why, but it works..

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

I flatten my hamburger (or ground turkey) out too! I like the mayo jar tip. I have always wondered if there was an 'easier' way, LOL!
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

Micki said...

Very good ideas and I will use them!
Micki

Jeanne said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.