Thursday, June 9, 2011

My little Sock Problem.....

I have a problem.  I love socks.  I've always loved socks.  When my kids were little, their dad used to take them shopping for me and they'd pick out some funny, goofy pair of socks and I always loved them.  I wasn't acting- I really LOVED them!  I still have the black ones with the fur cuffs that Paul gave me when he was about 10 and the pair with hot pink bikinis on them that Steve gave me when I started doing water aerobics about 6 or 8 years ago.  They make me smile.

So now.... in addition to my quilting addiction.... I have developed another little problem.  About a year and a half ago, I knitted my first pair of socks.  It's been downhill ever since.  In the last 18 months, I've made 21 pairs of socks, and I have 4 pair currently in some sort of partial completion.  I can't stop myself!  **sigh**  I guess we all have our little problems and this isn't such a terrible problem to have.  So here I sit.... on a warm summer day.... blogging in my bare feet....

Here are my last few pair that I haven't shown you yet:

I'm working my way through the book, "Knit.Sock.Love" by Cookie A.  I've posted the first 2 before.  This is the 3rd... called Thelonious.  This was a challenging pattern but I LOVE them!  The yarn is String Theory Caper Sock, color Sandy River.

 This pattern is called, "Mona".  I think this is my new favorite "go to" sock pattern.  It was a quick knit and looks and fits great.  This yarn was great, too.  It's from Barking Dog Yarns.... hand dyed by Suzan O'Brien.


And my most recent sock from the book is called, "Rhombus".  SHEESH!  This one was a challenge!  One word- Cables.  The yarn is also from Barking Dog Yarns.  Suzan calls this colorway "Robin's Hood".   Now that they're finished, I LOVE these socks.





These were designed by Wendy Gaal of Knitters Brewing Company.  This is one of her wonderful hand dyed colorways called Cosmopolitan.  The pattern is called Family Jewels.  It looks complicated, but it really wasn't too bad.  She does videos on her Ravelry page to help knitters through the tough spots.  



Here's the back.  Pretty.

Wendy has a great summer Knit Along going right now on her Ravelry group. I'll show you a picture when I finish knitting it.  It a commemorative sock for the 2011 Sock Summit event in Portland this summer.  Yes.  It's a convention for people who knit socks (and other things).  Yes.  There really are enough people in the world to have a major convention for people who knit socks.  Really.











And another one designed by Wendy.  These are called "Hang Ten" and the colorway is called "Sex on the Beach".  All of Wendy's "Sock-aholic" yarns are named after cocktails.  The Hang Ten socks have ocean waves and surfboard designs on it so I thought the colorway was a fun choice.  I call these "Socks on the Beach".  :-)   Sex on the Beach is the name of a cocktail.  This has not become an X-rated blog.

So there you have it.  I'm addicted to sock knitting.  I just cast on another pair last night.  **sigh**

If you're a knitter on Ravery, my screen name is SueHauser.  Creative- I know.  Check out my profile on Rav and "friend" me.

9 comments:

Jacqueline said...

....maybe I shouldnt say anything, however, being a sock lover too... www.sockdreams.com Enjoy! xoxo

The Vegetarian Hunter said...

I think your sock problem is really a blessing. Who doesn't need socks??

Susan said...

yes socks, I knit a pair or so a year, but not 21. Love yours I don't get nearly so pretty of course the ones I make are for the hubby.

Needled Mom said...

I love them all!!!! I need to check that book out.

Judy S. said...

You finished your Family Jewels! Way to go. I have a very bad case of SSS..... That's a great idea to work your way through a knitting book, especially that one since it's sitting on my shelf! You're going to Portland?

Anne said...

Wonderful socks! I love socks, have special socks for special activities. I've never knit a pair though, yours are beautiful.

QuiltSue said...

What a lot of socks. I've never knitted any, but looking at some of yours I'm starting to think I should.

Colleen's Blog Long Island NY said...

Sue you are getting really good at the sock knitting. I remember when you first posted about starting to knit socks. I can't believe that you have made that many. They are beautiful.

Rosa Robichaud said...

Okay, beyond ALL that you've confessed and shown us and OVER and beyond these adorable socks and all that....

Not a soul mentioned that you have HANGERS for SOCKS?!?!??!

Now, if THAT ain't an addiction, then I'll personally eat my day-old-worn-store-bought-socks!

LOL

Seriously, who'd da thunk you could get sock hangers?!?? LOL

Oh, wait a sec.... Am I the crazy one, living in Canada, where you can't buy sock hangers?!?!? *VBG*

Rosa
P.S. BTW, I LOVED your socks but most of all... I LOVED your blog about your love (sock) affair!

*still grinning about those sock hangers... LOL*