Saturday, August 1, 2009

Almost done!

Just a few more rows to harvest! I really should have the lavender all out of the field by now. but it's been a super busy week. The lavender that is still on the plants is looking a little unhappy. The rest will be dried and I'll take the buds off to sell in bulk.

My lavender farm is pretty small compared to most. I have 300 plants- mostly grosso and gros bleu. But it's about all we can handle. I planted tiny little lavender plants in the fall of 2007. My first harvest (Summer, 2008) yielded about 75 bundles. My second harvest (Summer, 2009) yielded 450 bundles!!! I wonder what next summer will bring.

4 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Wow Sue, that is an amazing crop. Mine never came :-( But I really will look forward to a lovely bunch next year. Have a great day!

Sue said...

I'm so sorry your fresh bundle never arrived. Since my fresh isn't so fresh any more, I can't even replace it-- at least not THIS year. You'll get the first bundle I harvest next July!

The Rabbit Factory said...

Incredible...those bundles look sooooo amazing and the smell harvesting them must be wonderful! Lucky you!

Sue said...

Funny thing about the smell. I must be sensitized to it or something because I can't smell it any more. I have a really good sense of smell, but not for lavender. I used to smell it, but I think that driving around with 40 bundles in my car for a month "broke" my nose. I really love to look out over a field of purple, though!