Monday, November 29, 2010

Rotary Cutter Replacement Blades





Here's a weird one for you!  My friend Nancy told me about this.  It seems that Harbor Freight Tools sells a product for cutting carpet that takes blades that fit 45 mm rotary cutters.  The blades are 2 for $1.99 (at least that's the price today). 






I have no idea if the price will change or if they will always be available-- and I'm not sure if they are equivalent to the blades we get from quilt supply businesses.  But they sure do look like they will work!  If anyone has used them, or purchased from Harbor Freight, let me know.  If they cut carpet, you wouldn't think they'd have trouble with cotton fabric. :-)

11 comments:

Jami said...

i work close by there. Will have to try them!

Sue said...

Let me know how they work!

nono said...

I'm intrigued. That is a really good price.

Peggi said...

This tip has gone viral, lol! A couple of my quilty friends purchased some a few weeks ago and their report is that these blades work great!

Cheryl said...

Very interesting! Blades just don't last as long as they used to these days. Lower quality steel, maybe. Good tip. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Wow, they're definitely much less expensive...I just want to know if they work!!!! =)

krisgray said...

Finally found some in stock at our local store and the first one I put in cuts better than any blade I've used for a long time. There's a quilting forum where lots of quilters have been buying these blades in large quantities by mail and have experienced long delays due to back orders.

Needled Mom said...

Interesting!!!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I went to Harbor Freight the same day I read about these blades and bought all they had. After using the blade....I returned all unopened packages. Very disappointing to me. I was hopeful they would last and mine really was junk....again, my opinion only. The blade I used was not near the quality as the ones I use and it lasted two days I think. The investment to try them is not that great so if folks think they might like them....you won't be out too much money if you have the same experience I had. If you end up loving them....then it was worth the test right?

Smiles,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

They also sell a magnifying visor that fits over the top of your head for about $20 and you can enlarge or see your work easier while sewing which works great for us who don't have the best vision.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone tried sharpening these with the tool they sell for the quilting ones? Send me an email please...

Katina
kjkoukla(at )hotmailDOTcom